A producer may buy or sell the electricity to another producer, supplier, trader, power exchange, Croatian Transmission System Operator in order to provide ancillary services, providing balancing services, compensation plan exchanges and to cover losses in the transmission network, HEP Distribution System Operator in order to provide ancillary services and to cover losses in the distribution network or in a way that is imported or exported over Croatian borders.
There are two types of producers in Croatia:
- an eligible producer,
- an independent producer.
An eligible producer is producer which can obtain the status through production of electricity from the renewables and cogeneration. The Energy Act, the Law on renewable energy and high-efficiency cogeneration and secondary legislation regulate incentivizing such electricity production as well as the purchase/sale of electricity produced from the renewables and cogeneration.
In order to participate in the electricity market a potential producer shall undertake the following:
- registration of company or entrepreneur in court register of Commercial court of Republic of Croatia,
- obtaining energy activity license for production of electricity issued by Croatian Energy Regulatory Agency (in case of facility's installed capacity >= 500 kW),
- entering into network use contract with CTSO and/or HEP-DSO,
- obtaining EIC code from Issuing Office authorized by ENTSO-E (EIC),
- in case a potential producer wants to participate as:
- Balance group manager: sign a Balance Responsibility Agreement with CTSO,
- Member of existing balance group: sign a Membership Agreement with manager of existing balance group,
- submitting a completed Request for signing of an Agreement with HROTE (Request),
- entering into Electricity Market Participation Agreement with HROTE (Agreement),
- in case of electricity import or export:
- applying to CTSO for participation in cross border transmission capacities allocation,